Thursday, March 17, 2011

Little Visitor

    
     My kids love, I mean LOVE, St. Patrick's Day.  I suppose it has something to do with me being all excited about my Irish ancestry.  I've shared this little info with them since they were old enough to open their eyes.  Seriously, I am proud of all of my heritage but there's just something special about being Irish.  Maybe it has a little bit to do with the idea of gold at the end of the rainbow, little mischievous leprechauns, beautiful scenic views of the island, the grand castles, St. Patrick himself, or maybe it's just something that we Americans have created.  No matter the reason, I am proud to be Irish and apparently it has rubbed off on the kids...much to my husband's dismay.  Even though he is named Ryan (Irish) there isn't a drop of Irish blood in his body...much to my dismay!

     So around this time of year, the kids get all excited about the little visitor that comes to our house.  It all started when Andrew was 2.  A little leprechaun came to our house and made quite a mess.  Chairs were in the wrong places, things were turned upside down, and there were little green footprints all over the entry way.  Plus the little fella left Andrew a gold covered chocolate treat!  Who wouldn't like leprechauns.  They got away with making a mess and they left chocolate.  Andrew was officially in love with leprechauns and being Irish!
     This tradition continued in our house each year.  But Chloe was not as excited as Andrew.  She was actually nervous about a little leprechaun causing trouble in our house.  We had to leave a note asking the little man to not go into Chloe's room!  I was beginning to worry that I was causing a phobia of little green men!  oops.  Needless to say, Chloe eventually grew out of this phase and actually started looking forward to St. Patrick's Day.  yea

This is Chloe's trap from this year.  The clear
tap is covering the box, in hopes that he'll
walk into it and be stuck!  Genious
     Last year we made traps for the little guy.  Fortunately Unfortunately, no leprechauns were caught.  So we tried again this year....Still no leprechauns.  They are just too tricky and magical to be caught.  However, they did destroy our house.  We had green toilet water, green milk, and chairs turned upside down.  Lily is still too young to get what was going on but she did seem a little confused about why her high chair was on top of the kitchen table!  The little leprechauns left the kids Rolo candies and a little treat.  Andrew got an Irish baseball cap, that he immediately put on and proudly wore to school.  Chloe got little leprechaun earrings and a pin.  Lily got a shamrock headband.

This is Andrew's trap.  He liked Chloe's
tape idea so much, that he copied it!
     I plan on continuing this fun little tradition for a long time.  Probably until the kids are in their twenties!  Seriously... I mean come on, who doesn't like to be a little mischievous and get away with doing naughty things!

2 comments :

  1. What a cute idea and a great tradition you have started! I wish I had thought of doing that when my kids were little, it sounds like so much fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I still chase rainbows. Well actually I try to figure out how to get to the end of one in order find that pot of gold. Needless to say, so far the gold is safe, as I still haven't figured things out yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!