Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pan-a-Cakes

     The two older kids love pancakes and waffles.  I mean LOVE.  They especially love making home made ones.  I think it has something to do with the mess that is left in the kitchen!  I don't know.  I don't see anything special about making pancakes, but the kids love doing it.  All I get left with is a bunch of mix all over the stove, the counters, and sometimes on the dog!  The other day we were making up a batch and we decided to make Lily some PKU friendly pancakes.  Or as she calls them...panacakes!

     I used the Country Sunrise Pancake Mix.  The directions are to make a batch of 2 pancakes.  I decided to triple the recipe and make 6 pancakes.  It seemed like a lot of batter for 6 pancakes, but it worked out perfectly.  Like every PKU recipe, things aren't the same as what I would make.  Some foods are stickier, thinner, harder to cook, etc.  The best things about these pancakes, is that the mix looked just like regular pancake mix, it was the same consistency.  It was easy to pour and super easy to flip.  I have tried 2 other pancake mixes and they were a disaster.  One was so runny that you couldn't flip it!  These are a little thick and I was worried that they weren't cooked all the way through.  I was wrong, they turned out perfect and Lily loved them!  Each pancake was only 3.5 phe! 


     After I cooked them, I bagged them up and put them in the freezer.  I just pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds, add a little butter (OK, it's not really butter!) and Lily devours them!  I'm not ready for maple syrup but I'm sure Lily would love it.  Anything that involves dipping is super messy and she doesn't really eat it.  For instance french fries.  If ketchup is there, she just dips the fries, licks the ketchup off and repeats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!