Thursday, November 15, 2012

Birthdate Subway Art Tutorial

      I haven't written an update about our bathroom and "extra" room remodel in awhile.  Well they got finished in time for Thomas' Baptism, but I couldn't uplaod the pics.  I somehow lost the camera cord during the remodel...oops!  So here we are almost 2 months later.
   Before I share the makeovers, I wanted to share a really cool tutorial for wall art.  When I decided to redo the "extra" room, I knew that I wanted to do it right.  Usually I just buy or repurpose a bunch of crap things and throw it in a room and call it done.  Well since I'm now an adult (for about 2 decades) I should probably decorate my house accordingly! We do have 4 kids, so it needed to be kid friendly but still show my personality.  My personality and likes are all over the place but when decorating, "all over the place" never looked good.  So I really thought about what I wanted to showcase and stayed on task.  I also didn't want our 100 year old home to look too modern, I'm just not into that, but I also didn't want it to look dirty, when using older and repurposed items!
     So, I looked on Pinterest for a while and came up with a few things that I knew needed to be in my house.  The problems....we don't own Photoshop and don't have a bunch of money to put into redecorating.  Here are a few of the Pinterest ideas that I knew I needed to have.
via
     I became a regular shopper at Goodwill and the Salvation Army for their plates!  Seriously, there are some awesome China patterns that are only a quarter.  Since that project was going to take some time, I decided to really focus on the subway art.  One night while everyone was sleeping (amazing), I had some energy (even more amazing), so I decided to play around on the computer.  We don't have PhotoShop, so I needed to only use our Word program.  It was difficult at first because I knew what I wanted it to look like, but had a hard time lining everything up right.  After about 30 minutes, I had it just right.  Here's what I came up with...

I blanked out some of the info for privacy!

     I want everyone to know that you can totally make these on your own.  I made them in word, printed them out on regular printer paper on our home printer.  You could always save them as a jpeg and print them out somewhere else.  I went to Dollar General and bought beautiful black frames with a cream mat for $5 each.  And hung them up.  To me, they look amazing and were not expensive at all.  However, my "extra" room now looks so grown up, without it looking like some wannabe designer threw up all over the place.  The room looks clean and sophisticated at the same time.  Now I just have to be able to do that in the other rooms.  There's the real challenge.  Once the camera starts working, I'll upload the finished room. 
     Here's the saved word file that I made, using Google Docs.  You can open it up and add your info to create Birthdate Subway Art for your home.  The best part, I did all of the hard work and it's at the low cost of...FREE!



LSP Signature
linking to House of Hepworths

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!