Monday, February 18, 2013

Preparing for Travel with #PKU!

     This summer the 6 of us will be travelling to California to meet Mickey and the rest of the gang!  And....we're flying.  yep, call us a little crazy but hey that's life.  The little ones will be 3 and 1 year old and the older two will be 11 and 13.  I'm not worried at all about the actual plane ride.  What makes me nervous is making sure we can get our formula and food there. 

     We've never gone anywhere this far away before with our little PKUers.  I know that it's possible to get our formula on the plane, but how hard is it?  Our doctor will need to write out a special letter explaining what the powder formula is, why it's necessary, and what our children's diagnosis is.  Then we just have to see how we get through security.

     My husband is thinking that we should have our formula and some food mailed to California (from Illinois).  I'm not so sure.  I mean what if there's a problem with the mail and it doesn't arrive.  Plus we're staying only a few days in San Diego and a few days at Disney.  Then we'd also have to worry about getting it back home.

     Have any of you experienced flying with PKU formula and food?  How did it go?


LSP Signature

1 comment :

  1. Hi Kelly,
    I saw your link on the CFL facebook page. I have traveled A LOT with my formula. Both in the states and abroad, and it's always gone off without a hitch. I used to drink the PKU Coolers, which are pre-mixed drink pouches, and I never even had trouble with those! I always keep the letter from my dietitian, and I always just tell the TSA people right upfront "This is my medically necessary formula, and I have a doctor's note." They have never asked to see it. They always take one of the pouches or cans of powder and run it through their little machine and check it for explosives. Then they hand it back to me and send me on my way. Now I use powdered formula again, so I usually pre-measure the powder and kool-aid into zip-lock baggies, then stuff those back into the cans so it's got the labels on there. Then I take an empty water bottle and make either one serving or however much I need once I get past the security checkpoint, using water from the water fountain and some ice.

    I wouldn't worry about mailing it, but I would definitely keep it in a bag you're going to carry on.

    Good luck and have fun! :)
    Anna, 30 CPKU from Chattanooga.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!