Sunday, March 24, 2013

#DIY Little Gentleman Baby Onesies

     We've been preparing for my little sister's baby shower.  We decided to do a little bow tie theme for the shower.  We're having the shower at my parents' house and they have a beautiful fire place.  I wanted to decorate the fire place and thought that onesies would be perfect. 

     I've made sweatshirts, t-shirts, and onesies with appliques on them before so I knew that it wouldn't be too hard.  And I love how they turned out.  The first thing you need to do is draw or print out the image that you want to make.  I did a google search on bow tie clip art images and printed it out on card stock.  The I traced the bow tie onto heavy duty Wonder Under and cut out the image.  Then I ironed the Wonder Under onto the material.  Make sure that you iron it onto the "wrong" side of the fabric.




     Next, I cut out the image from the fabric and lined it up onto the onesie.  For a neck tie, make sure that you layer the top of the tie over the other part.  This gives it dimension and in my opinion, looks cuter.


     After you've got it lined up, you just iron it on.  With the heavy duty Wonder Under, you really don't need to sew the image.  I made Lily an initial shirt and laundered it well over 10 times and never had a problem with the letter coming off.  The only reason she quit wearing it, is that she out grew it pretty quickly!



     For the suspenders, I just used grosgrain ribbon!  Again, I ironed Wonder Under onto the wrong side of the ribbon and then ironed the ribbon onto the onesie.  make sure that the ribbon goes under the shoulder flaps.  To make the ribbon look more like suspenders, I just used black fabric and made little clips and ironed the on.  I'm planning on finding some Chicago Cubs fabric and making a bow tie for this one!



Linking up at House of Hepworths!

LSP Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!