Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap!

img_5302     I finally made some homemade laundry soap.  I found a recipe months ago and Ryan immediately mixed it up for me!  We've been using homemade "general" cleaner for years, but I never thought about laundry soap.  Ryan was super excited because he has crazy sensitive skin and just about everything bothers him (soap I mean!)  We were running low on the soap, so I decided to mix some up myself.  It was super easy!

     I was inspired by Aunt Ruthie from her blog to make my own laundry soap.   The photos are from her blog since my SD card is damaged.  I'm not sure what happened.  I can see the photos on my camera but the computer, other camera, and reader won't download the photos!  Did I mention that there are hundreds of photos on there- Thomas' birth, summer vacation, Thomas' Baptism, Lily's birthday party.  It makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  Anyway...
img_5288
 
It’s only four ingredients!
 
1 (4 pound) box of Super Washing Soda
1 (4pound) box of Baking Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Borax
3 bars of Kirk’s Castile soap–Shredded
(you can use Fels Naptha, Zote, or Ivory soaps)
Mix well in a large container.
 
Add two heaping tablespoons to each load of laundry.
img_5290 
    
     I chose Kirk’s Castile bar soap because, from doing some research, it is made with natural ingredients and best for sensitive skin.  I did buy a bar of the Fels Naptha to use as a stain remover.  I just get the bar wet, scrub on the stain, let it sit, and then wash it in the laundry.
 
img_5293
     You need to grate the 3 bars of soap.  Ryan shredded the bars by hand.  I started doing that but had to stop.  A few years ago, I injured my shoulder coaching volleyball and it gets irritated pretty quick.  So, I whipped out the food processor and got the job done much quicker without reinjuring myself!  I now just need to really clean out the processor!
 
 
img_5374
 
      I mixed all 4 ingredients in a bucket (I bought a plastic one at Walmart, in the auto section for under $2) and stirred until it was fully blended. That’s it! Now it's ready to wash a load! Just take approximately 2 tablespoons-full and drop it in the appropriate spot in your washing machine. I set the machine on small, drop in the detergent, let it get mixed up, then I add the laundry and set the machine to the appropriate laundry size. 

      I got all of my supplies at Walmart. The boxed items were found in the laundry detergent isle and the bar soap in the toiletries section. The cost for me was around $13 for the supplies. Divided by 150 loads, the cost is around 8 1/2 cents a load.  The most expensive item was the actual bars of soap!  The best part is when you look at the ingredients on the items.  There are no dyes, no fragrances.  It's all natural and smells clean!  We all have to do laundry, so why not make it a more pleasant experience!

imagesThis is VERY IMPORTANT — if you have a front loading machine you need to take out the little tray that is meant for liquid only. If you put the powder in that tray it will clog. With the tray removed you can just add your scoop of dry detergent with no problems.


I'm also thinking of using a homemade fabric softener.  We stopped using them eons ago, because they're super bad for the environment and not great for the kiddo's skin.   I'm going to try to use white vinegar. It helps keep whites bright and colors bold. It helps remove any soap residue and it works as an anti-bacterial too. You're supposed to  use about 1/4 cup…just enough to fill the softener reservoir.  It will NOT make your clothes smell like vinegar. Yay!
 


LSP Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!