Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Meatless Meal Monday #11

     As promised, I am showing an easy meatless meal or recipe for you!  There's a facebook group that I follow- Vegetarian Recipes 24/7.  On here, people post all of their favorite vegetarian meals.  Some are just meatless and others are completely vegan.  There's quite a few meals that I'm sure I can tweak and make PKU friendly.  The main problem with my PKU cooking is that I just don't think about it until it's time to make dinner.  PKU cooking requires more thought and more than just your traditional foods that are on hand.  I'm trying to get better at it, but so far, I'm an epic failure!
     Today, I'm showing a recipe that  Keep Your Diet Real posted on the facebook page.  This recipe is pretty easy to make I've actually tried this recipe but instead of using zucchini, I used asparagus.  The kids kind of liked it, but they don't really like zucchini or asparagus anyways.  I absolutely LOVED it.  I'm a big fan of zucchini and asparagus is my favorite veggie!

Zucchini Fries from Keep Your Diet Real

Directions:

  1. Slice zucchini into thin “fry-size” strips about 1/4 inch or less in thickness.
  2. Prepare work station. Place 3 small clean and shallow baking dishes or bowls side by side. Fill one with flour, another with egg white or egg substitute and the last with bread crumbs.
  3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, dip each slice of zucchini first in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally into the breadcrumbs. Place each coated slice onto a large baking half sheet (18×13) lined with parchment paper or foil. Leave a small amount of space between each slice. Spray with olive oil (about 5 sprays) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  4. Place baking sheet into the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes (flipping every 10 minutes) until golden brown and crispy. Alternatively, you can fry each slice in olive oil, but this is a lower fat version. Serve with marinara.
     As far as making it PKU friendly, I haven't tried that yet.  Big surprise there!  However, here are my thoughts on how to make it PKU friendly...

**Instead of traditional flour, you can use Cambrooke's Wheat Starch (34 cup or 100 g. = 6 mg. phe)
**Instead of egg white, you can use Orgran Egg Replacer  (0 phe)
**Instead of traditional bread crumbs, you can use your own homemade bread or
     Cambrooke's Homestyle Bread (1 slice or 50 g. = 5 mg. phe








LSP Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my blog and leaving a message!